DIY Poppin Cookin Candy Donut Kit Tutorial [ft. Blippo.com]

By heylinni - 12:33 PM

I'm no RRCherryPie but I think I've done alright with the DIY Kracie Pop Happy Kitchen Donut Set sent from Blippo.com Today's post is a brief review plus a longer tutorial about how to use the DIY Kracie Pop sets to make your own weird and wonderful Japanese candy. Blippo kindly offered to send me my choice of DIY Candy and I could not resist this adorable donut set! It's super cute and heaps of fun to make with friends! 

I've also done a review for some Blippo products before, which you can read here, to get a better understanding of what Blippo is and what they do. In a quick, one-line summary, they are a huge store that sells the most kawaii goods at cheap prices with NO shipping fee worldwide. Could it get any better? Once again, I've been really happy about the service they provided and Blippo is always such a pleasure and enjoyment to work with! 

This DIY Candy set can be bought from here, it's $7.37. There are also a whole range of different ones you could try out such as sushi kit, cake kit or even a burger kit! These prices range from around $3-$10. DIY Candy has been around for a while now, though I can't find a lot of information on it. All you need to know is that Japanese scientists finally came up with a crazy idea of mixing powder and water to create your own shapeable gummies. The instructions are fully in Japanese and if it weren't for some good Youtube videoes, I'd have no idea how to make these. One Youtuber in particular, who specially deals with this candy is RRCherryPie, who is a master of DIY Candy. RRCherryPie has over 1 million subscribers and makes tons of videoes, perfectly making these DIY gummies. Their handiwork is actually quite amazing. 

The box arrived in amazing condition and it is so cute! I love that they drew that little bear on it and the stamp is a hand drawn bear as well. The box quality is also extremely sturdy, protecting the goods well. Plus they filled it with those foam pellets so the DIY Candy kit inside wouldn't get damaged. I love the thought and care they put into their service. 

Next, the actual DIY Candy kit box is very pretty as well! It's bright, colourful and really evokes a sense of amusement. The sample photos on the outside look yummy (though mine didn't really look as perfect) and it was very lovely of Blippo to send me a complimentary All Stars keyring. This keyring comes with every purchase and I love it cos I've got 3 of them already; I'm starting a collection :D 
The instructions are also nicely accompanied by bright images, whichI sort of understood. Would love it in English but that isn't their fault :) I have seen some English kits floating around on the internet though, ebay or amazon maybe... 
Everything is packaged inside this super kawaii plastic bag! It makes the most satisfying crunch when it's in your hands. 
And let's have a look at what's inside the bag....!
Firstly, a container where you will mix all the powders and squish them into shapes
These two are bases for the general mix of the dough. It comes in two flavours, chocolate and 'vanilla-ish' 
An icing bag and a little spoon to scoop the icing and do the mixing 
These are the different toppings for the donuts. There's chocolate drizzle, vanilla and strawberry icing and nutty chunks. 
Of course we can't forget the classic coloured sprinkles :D
And let's firstly move onto the tutorial of how to make the DIY Candy. Obviously you can choose to be creative as you like and do anything, but this is a very standard version of the donuts.

Start off with cutting off the little scooper on the edge of the container. This is the water scooper, and it's really small but ensures that you put the right amount into the mixture.
Then, start with the yellow base packet (to make the yellow dough). You'll need to use to water scooper and fill the compartment with the music note on it, with around 3 scoops, until the dented part is filled with water. Then, cut open the yellow base packet pour it all into this compartment.
Get your little spoon and start to mix it! It's very powdery at first, but it'll start to turn more clumped together and wet. If it's not, then just add a little more water.
Then, take out the clumped, solid piece of dough and roll it into a sausage in your hands. Using a knife, cut the 'sausage' into 4 pieces and roll them to become flat, cylindric shapes.
Now leave that on the plate and go back to the mixing container! This time, we're going to do the big chocolate powder. Repeat the same process as above, in that same compartment until it becomes clumped and one solid piece again. 

(now cue the shoddy iphone pics since my dslr camera made everything sooo dark) 
Then cut into 4 separate pieces and shape, similar to the yellow dough. This one's funny, because when you make it into that sausage shape, it looks so much like poop T_T
Now, take each little cylinder separately and just squish it into the donut shapes on the side of the container. This part is really fun! You'll need to completely mould it into that container shape so it looks good coming out. You can combine the two colours and make a two tone donut like I did (below) if you want to :)
Here they are! I prefer the swirled ones, because they look a little fancier and more like bread :)
The job is only half done! We must get onto decorating these donuts so they look more realistic. The icing is a lot of fun to apply, just like in any baking recipe. I'll start with the chocolate icing. This is the smaller, brown packet. You'll do this in the music note compartment as well. Just pour the powder in, then add 4 scoopers of water and start mixing. It should turn very dark and wet, similar to normal icing. 
Then, using the spoon, scoop it into the icing bag provided. Push all the icing into one corner and twist the top of the bag so you can apply pressure onto the icing to squeeze it out. Cut off a tiny bit of the tip. 
Then drizzle to your hearts desire! Maybe don't chocolatify every single donut, since there are different types of icings included in the kit, unless you're a total chocoholic! 
Now for the Vanilla icing. This is in the blue packet and you'll need to deposit that powder into one of the smaller compartments of the container. Add 2 scoopers of water and start mixing!
Repeat the same process for the pink, strawberry icing in the small compartment next to the vanilla icing :D 
And apply it however you want to the donuts! You can also add nutty chunks or coloured sprinkles, however you want it. 
Since my finished product was a little messy, I decided to transfer it to a different plate and clean it up a bit.
And that's it! It looks awesome right? I really enjoyed this product and I'll give you my final opinions on it. Firstly, it was relatively simple to make; just mixing and moulding. There is a lot of novelty in being able to create your own candy donuts, without having to use an oven or anything so I think this is a perfect activity to do with friends when you're bored at home. It's a great way to channel your creativity and make awesome, delicious-looking miniature donuts. In addition everything you need already comes in the packet (sans the water) and it's also very quick to clean up. 
Now here comes the negative part. Although they look delicious, these candies taste SO BAD. They're pretty tasteless actually, but the texture is like eating playdough, so I really didn't like it. In fact, I only ate one and chucked the rest out. I think this is more for the enjoyment of making something cute, rather than actually eating it. The dough is the worst of it, and the vanilla icing tastes really artificial as well. However, I did like the chocolate icing (tasted just chocolatey), sprinkles (sugar), nutty chunks (total YUM) and best of all...the STRAWBERRY ICING. I don't know what it is about it, but I was so addicted to that strawberry stuff. It really tasted like strawberry lollies, or a raspberry slushy or something. It was nice. ^_^
Perhaps you can consider buying these, since they are so affordable and Blippo is the place to get them! The quality of the experience definitely made up for the bad taste, and I would still repurchase something like this, for the next time I'm bored! Thanks Blippo for sending me such an awesome product (y) 

Thanks for reading guys :)

xx Heylinni 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Please remember to like my Facebook page for daily updates about my blog!!

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
Also, please be sure to check out my online shop

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

40 replies

  1. That is so cool and kawaii! I would probably make it a disaster if i ever tried it even though it seems simple >.< BTW Blippo is amazing, I wish I had known about it sooner so I could get Japanese related items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah well glad you know about it now :) it's really awesome aye?

      Delete
  2. it's cool and looks deli!
    Wanna try wanna try :D

    Cheers,
    Blog : Ongles et De La Vie De Puspita
    Instagram : Puspitanh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha it's cool but definitely NOT delicious!

      Delete
  3. These products are so weird but fun xP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha!! Same thought as when I first tried cookin' pop and it so happened to be the donuts one too!! WORST TASTING CANDY EVER! ahhaha! :P

    -Miss Sennnaa
    BLOG: http://miss-sennnaa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look super yummy , and no shopping fee , that's amazing
    Have a great week,
    www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks delicious and easy.
    http://tifi11.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg this DIY kit is so cute QwQ I always wanted to try it out too but never had a chance to get it >w> I might be loooking for this when I'm in HK ;w; I heard of Blippo before too and they sponsored me a few products too. The taste of the donuts soundsa bit meeh tho D: But I really want to taste the strawberry icing too since you liked it so much >w< Thanks for posting this review though, Rachel~ ^w^

    I would like to invite you to my Circle Lens Giveaway! You can win a pair of circle lenses and I thought you might be interested too since you seem to wear them often ^^;;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you for reading this so thoroughly! :) i'll be sure to enter ^_^

      Delete
  8. They look so delicious and cute~ I can't believe they taste bad though! T_T

    Thanks for sharing your review Rachel! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yeh if they were yummy, i would buy so many more of these!

      Delete
  9. I followed you on Bloglovin #345 :) Hope you follow back soon x
    My Lush & Body Shop Haul! | Freya's Fashion Chapter

    ReplyDelete
  10. Japanese DIY candies tend to taste like... nothing, lol. But really seems so fun to make them and is so cute after done!

    Neko Bunny U=・ x ・=U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mmm i think the experience of making it makes it worth it :)

      Delete
  11. The DIY food is soooo cute! Makes me want to buy one when I go to Japan in October.

    www.sweet-honeydew.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you should! im so jealous you're going so soon :D

      Delete
  12. This is seriously so cute, Rachel! love it so much ;) It makes me want to just grab in and eat them all!
    I'd love to follow each other! Following you now on GFC--hope you follow back, gorgeous!
    Hope you're having a lovely Wednesday!xx

    ♥ ♡ ♥ ♡ Creme de la Chic ♥ ♡ ♥ ♡

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've seen alot of youtubers post videos of themselves making these adorable things! It looks so fun but it's too bad they don't taste as good as they look lol Thanks for sharing!

    xoxo Payton of K-Party With Payton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg yes, i love watching those videoes because they do it so perfectly!

      Delete
  14. Awww they look so cute and small! :3 I bet they taste delicious though! :D
    www.amiciarai.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always wanted to try DIY cansy like this!!
    It look so cute and funny (>w<)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahh this is such a cute tutorial-they look delicious! I love your blog-it is honestly adorable!
    xo Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  17. The taste and texture is so strange but they are so fun to make and super cute. I'd totally get them again too :P


    Pixelhazard | Bright Green Laces |

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've seen you tubers make these and was so surprised that they turned out the way they did and actually looked tasty! Im not sure whether id buy or try one myself but i think they're definitely very fun to make ;p Thank you so much for passing by my blog Rachel, i really appreciate it :) Btw I'm following you on bloglovin now :D x
    | Life as a Petite || Fashion, Crafts & Lifestyle Blog |

    ReplyDelete